Can A Fibreglass Pool Be Heated?
Pool heating is essential when you live in cold regions or in areas where the winters are very cold. With proper heating, you can use your pools even when the weather is cold. In fact, you will get the best out of your pool during such time. Your family members and friends will love to use your pool if it is heated. They would be comfortable in a heated pool when the weather is cold outside. You can even have pool parties in winter with a heated pool. The question is, if you have a pool made of fibreglass, can you heat it?
Why Heat A Pool?
The obvious reason to heat a pool is to warm it up during cold weather. In some places, the water can be freezing cold. Heating the pool ensures it is warmed up so you can use it. A frozen pool cannot be used even during the daytime. This makes your pool a waste during cold spells. Having pool heating allows you to use the pool throughout the year.
There is one more fact many people are not aware of. Even if you do not have very cold winters, you may not be able to use the pool in winters. The pool would be very cold at night and it needs an entire day to regain some heat. By the time it is heated, it would be evening and the pool cools again. In such cases, heating is needed to use the pool during winter.
Another point to consider is that the sun heats only the surface of the water. When you step in the water, you may realize, it is much colder. This is a common occurrence during cold weather. All these make it important to heat a pool to ensure it can be used around the year.
Heating A Fibreglass Pool
We go back to the question of can you heat a fibreglass pool? The answer is a resounding yes! You can heat a fibreglass pool without any problems. Today, fibreglass pools are so popular that most of the pools are made of fibreglass. Heating such a pool is easy and you will many solution to get the heating done. You need to be aware of the different options you have to heat up your fibreglass pool.
One of the most effective ways of heating your pool is by using solar power. The heat of the sun can be used to heat your pool. It is an environmentally friendly way of heating your pool. It does not use electric power and thus helps you reduce your carbon footprint. This is how solar heating works:
- You will need solar absorbers. These are a series of capillary tubes that run from your pool to the solar strip collector that is placed on the roof. The tubes move water powered by a pump.
- You can even place it on the ground if your space and it receives sufficient heat.
- There would be a digital controller using which you can set the temperature and make the system work. This would have a sensor to monitor pool temperature. When the temperature falls below the required level, the pump gets turned on automatically.
- The pump pushes water from the pool to the solar strip collector. The strip collector uses the heat from the sun and heats the water in the tubes.
- The heated water then goes back into the pool.
- This circulation will continue until your pool reaches the optimum temperature. When it reaches the temperature, the sensor turns off the pump.
- It is a simple system and does not cost too much to install.
The obvious benefit of solar heating is that you don’t have to pay more for using electric power. You will use power from the sun, which comes from free. The problem with solar heating is you need the sun to be shining bright for the system to work. On a cloudy day or during rainy weather, you will not have access to the sun’s energy. This system will not work for all the months in a year.
This is the most common way in which swimming pools are heated. Unlike solar heating, electric heating is available 365 days a year. You can heat the pool adequately so it remains warm through the day. Electric heating works in two ways. One is through a complete electric heating system, where electric current is used to generate heat. This is an expensive system since it increases your electricity bill.
Another system generates heat by collecting heat from the air. The system used a heat exchanger to do this and send the heat to the pool. This system is effective and can work through the year. It helps warm pool faster. It works well even on cloudy days. The heat in the pool is not as good as a solar heated pool. The costs involved are high. It is not an environmentally friendly system.
Gas Heating For The Pool
You can even use gas to heat the pool. This is an effective way of heating but is the most expensive method. It runs on natural gas or propane. This is how this system works:
- You need a gas heater to heat the pool.
- The pool water needs to be run through a combustion chamber. In this chamber, the gas is burnt to generate heat. This heats up the water.
- The water then flows back through tubes back into the pool.
- This form of heating is efficient as it works very quickly and generates a lot of heat.
- It is ideally suited to heat up a spa, where hot water would be needed.
- You can use this system even during the coldest days of the year.
You need to install the gas heater with tubes that take water from the pool to the heater and back. This setup can be expensive. You need a supply of gas through a cylinder to heat the water. While this system seems complicated, it actually works the best. You can heat water quickly and then switch off the heater. This allows you to use lesser quantity of gas to achieve the result. A problem with these heaters are they are large and look ugly. While they work well, they don’t look nice near the pool.
Getting A Heating System
Once you have decided that you need heating for your pool, the next step is to get a heating system. You can keep the following factors in mind before deciding:
- Understand your pool usage. If you do not use the pool regularly, especially during winter it does not make sense spending money on heating.
- Understand the weather conditions in your area. This will help you decide if solar heating is suitable.
- You also need to consider the pool size. The larger the pool more is the cost involved.
- Analyze pros and cons of different systems and then take a decision.
A fibreglass pool can be heated using solar, electric, or gas heating. You can keep the tips given in this article in mind before installing a heater for your pool. You can contact a pool consultant for more information and to know the costing.
4 Easy Steps To Installing A Swimming Pool In Sydney
1. Contact Our Team To Arrange An Obligation Free Onsite Quote
Get in touch and one of our experienced team members will arrange a time for a pool builder to come to your home to do a free onsite quote.
2. Approve Your Quote
Once you have discussed your pool ideas and decided on the design and features you want, you will then approve your written quote. The pool builder will lodge applications for permit approvals, once these have been granted, you pool construction can begin.
3. Time to install your pool
The location where your new pool will go as well as the area surrounding it, will be excavated. The pool will put in and the pool fencing, electrical and plumbing work will be completed. As our pools are installed relatively quickly, this causes minimum interference to your everyday life.
4. You now own a pool!
Once your pool is installed, it’s all yours, ready to enjoy. Your summers just got a whole lot better.